Re: guidelines about "When to mirror ?", announce to admins

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 01:39:19AM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 07:30:46PM +0100, Simon Paillard wrote:
> > Indeed, what is the interrest of two pulses a day if most mirrors
> > (except the push ones) are updated only once a day ?
>
> Faster updates generally strain the mirror network for gain that is usually
> negligible to users. We don't really have anyone claiming or proving that
> many users are running sid and that they all really need updated packages
> more than once a day.

Except maybe for packages that are updated due to security reasons..

[..]
> The pushed mirrors are really supposed to be the bulk of the mirror network,
> the situation where users depend on a semi-random cron job time is fairly
> pointless these days.

We can just agree with you..

Thanks Josip for the explanation.

For the announce, I will send it to each mirror admin and CC
debian-mirrors-announce.
Is debian-mirrors-announce moderated by mirrors@d.o for non-DDs ?
If not, would it be possible ? It would be more practical for non-DDs
like me..