Re: guidelines about "When to mirror ?", announce to admins

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 07:30:46PM +0100, Simon Paillard wrote:
> I wonder: why not updating twice a day ?

I made that conservative change because if we just bumped up the
recommendation, people would misread it as an invitation to blithely
change their cron jobs to mirror twice a day, picking a semi-random time
that will most likely not be particularly better than their previous
semi-randomly selected mirroring time.

And undoubtedly there will be people who will think - hey, why don't
I update even more often, just in case Debianites choose to pick up their
tempo once again in the future? I could just start the rsync every hour,
or every fifteen minutes! And I'll also run it from ftp.debian.org, just
to make sure I'm leeching off the top of the hierarchy! Why yes, what a
marvelous idea! :)

> Indeed, what is the interrest of two pulses a day if most mirrors
> (except the push ones) are updated only once a day ?

Faster updates generally strain the mirror network for gain that is usually
negligible to users. We don't really have anyone claiming or proving that
many users are running sid and that they all really need updated packages
more than once a day. On the contrary, I'd even venture to say that most
of the time, even the daily syncs are wasteful on a general scale.

Let's let the ftpmasters acquire a bit more data on this twice-a-day dak run
idea before encouraging a couple of hundred people to update their config in
a way that will be more often than not be more pointless than not.

The pushed mirrors are really supposed to be the bulk of the mirror network,
the situation where users depend on a semi-random cron job time is fairly
pointless these days.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.