Re: is any US primary mirror connected to Internet2?

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 08:31:49PM +0100, Simon Paillard wrote:
> No server except the recent cudlug.cudenver.edu is referenced in the
> list as peering with Internet2.

There seems to be a misunderstanding - Internet2 is the name for the U.S.
academic network, like GEANT2 is the name for the European one.
See http://www.internet2.edu/membership/ for a list of organizations
connected to Internet2.

If the route to a site goes via Abilene/UCAID, it's "peering with
Internet2"; such a construct makes sense in the commercial Internet,
but for academic sites like cudenver.edu it's pointless, because they
are a registered member of I2, of course they are peering with it.

I'm not sure what they meant by that phrase in their mirror description
('Peered with some Internet2 sites'). Maybe they simply meant to say that
their network was connected to several Internet2 points of presence (PoP)?

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.