Re: Debian mirror in Canada

Simon Paillard un jour écrivit:
On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 12:56:56PM -0500, Jean-Francois Chevrette wrote:

Thanks for the offer !

Make sur you fulfill the requirements explained on http://www.debian.org/mirrors/official

I think there will be some competition, since debian.mirror.rafal.ca has
also offered to become the official Canadian mirror :
http://bugs.debian.org/329837

Actually three. If you read the end of this bug entry, you will notice that I also asked about becoming the Canadian master 10 days ago. I would have eventually sent an email on this list as well.

I fulfill everything asked since quite a long time, and there is already a couple of Debian mirrors that rsync from me (some officials and some not).

The cluster is currently hosted on a dedicated 100Mbps netowork port
which is feeded on our BGP network from providers such as Teleglobe
(2x1Gbps), Videotron (2x1Gbps), Peer1 (1Gbps) and Cogent (2x1Gbps).

  My mirror is connected with a gigabit link since last year.

On the other hand, I mirror a large number of projects and are already the Canadian master for Ubuntu (http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/). So, a 100mbps dedicated to Debian might be faster than my 1000mbps when a very popular distribution/application just released a new version.

Also, what about my proposition to have 2 mirrors handling ftp.ca.debian.org for higher availability? For example, ftp.us.debian.org is actually handled by 3 mirrors.

My server is directly on Ca*NET, the Canadian government backbone, and few feet away from the QIX (Quebec Internet eXchange, an Internet Node), so I also have connexions to Teleglobe, Videotron, Peer1, Cogeco, Telus, Allstream and others.

Having 2 master mirrors in the same city is not ideal, but at least we are not on the same network.

Still, debian.mirror.rafal.ca should probably be one of the 2 master mirrors if they still give sign of life (their last email was one month ago, and it is why I also offered to be master).

If you agree with the 2 master idea, my mind would say debian.mirror.rafal.ca and gulus.usherb.ca while my hearth would say gulus.usherb.ca and debian.iWeb.ca :o)

So you have to select a Push-Primary server which offers all
architectures : http://www.debian.org/mirrors/list-full

The best best choice in north america is certainly mirrors.kernel.org.
You should contact them to use push mirroring :
http://www.debian.org/mirror/push_mirroring

I didn't know they was offering pushing. I searched last year a mirror that could push me and could not find a Primary-Push one in North America that was both reliable and willing to push me.

On the other hand, I managed to keep my mirror very well synced and monitored (it is me that told Progeny about their synchronisation problems with apparently more informations than they had in their own logs).

  I will ask mirrors.kernel.org If I can't get pushed by the master.

Simon Valiquette