Re: Attempting to install Debian Wheezy on Loongson3A system

> I don't think 2f kernel can work with 3A at all.  Maybe you are using
> manually built vmlinux plus initrd from Debian?

No, that's not a problem.  I did build my own 3A kernel (which has its
own problems, see my mails on looongson-dev [1]).

> If so, the debian-installer will try to download kernel modules by
> uname -r something like acpi-modules-3.14-rc7-amd64-di

Ok, that could be the problem (but shouldn't result in segfault :/).
The Debian Jessie installer now seems smart enough to complain about the
unknown kernel but continue installation anyways (I made sure all
required functionality is compiled into the kernel, no additional
modules required).  I'll attempt the full jessie installation once I've
decided what kernel to use for the system.

> [..]
> Even you can get the modules by cheat debian-installer, the ABI of
> kernel is not compatible.

See above, I don't need any modules.  The kernel is configured to not
allow loading of modules from different version.  When installing on
Fuloong 6004 some time ago I used to replace the modprobe binary with a
shell script returning 'true' to keep the installer from complaining
(e.g. the partitioner refused to setup LVM if it couldn't load the LVM
modules).

> Before the patch be in upstream kernel (good news is that it will be
> present in 3.15), Debian cannot support installer for 3A.

No problem, I'm not counting on an "officially" supported installer.
Just trying to hack it to somehow support an unoffical kernel (as I
said, that approach used to work for a loongson2f system in the past).
Don't worry I'm not going to file a bug report with the BTS :)

> For now, to install Debian on 3A, you should debootstrap the system on
> another machine, and rsync it to this disk, then configure
> kernel/boot/pmon manually.

Yes, I could debootstrap, but my goal is to setup an encrypted LVM on
the Xinghuo (with root partition part of the LVM).  If the installer
just worked, this would much much easier than manually debootstrapping
the system into an encrypted LVM, then generating an initrd that
actually boots that.

cheers,

David

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/loongson-dev/VU5jGsokuhc
--
GnuPG public key: http://dvdkhlng.users.sourceforge.net/dk2.gpg
Fingerprint: B63B 6AF2 4EEB F033 46F7  7F1D 935E 6F08 E457 205F