Re: Debian (or anything else) on an Origin 200

Chad Feller wrote:
On 01/18/2013 06:16 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
Jeremy Stanley wrote:

I think the prime contender at the moment is that it's trying to
talk to an non-existent framebuffer
[...]

And looking over the Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 Installation Guide for
MIPS, the kernel does supposedly try to detect that you're invoking
it from a serial console:

    http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/mips/ch05s01.html.en

(Though it's worth noting Debian-Installer does not claim support
for IP27, so that context may not be relevant anyway.)

With reference to that link, I've been trying things like

boot -f dksc(0,1,0)/vmlinux.ip27-20060906.img append="console=/dev/ttyS0"

without success. I think I need to spend time looking at the kernel options.

If I go quiet it's because I'm looking into it and also have other demands on my time, so if anybody has any suggestions I'm still here and would be very interested to hear them.

I got Debian running on an IP27 sibling to that box, an Origin 2000 (2200 actually). I had problems with TFTP at the time (for whatever reason), and ended using a Gentoo MIPS live CD to get it to boot. From there I chrooted, and bootstrapped Debian.

I posted the notes of the install here:

  http://www.cs.unr.edu/~feller/linux/mips/ip27/debian_ip27.txt

That machine appears to be out of service, or at least isn't accessible from where I am. If you have a copy please could you mail it to the address below (which should be more tolerant than our mailing list gateway).

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk