Re: What is the status of Debian on Lemote Fuloong?

On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 09:59:00PM +0300, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 01:47:06PM +0000, Code Blue wrote:
> > Can anyone please tell me the status of Debian on the Lemote Fuloong? I
> > saw Lemote and MIPS Inc. have been submitting patches against the Linux
> > kernel and binutils pretty regularly. I have been looking around but have
> > not found any page that is current describing how to install Debian on the
> > Fuloong Mini. I am hoping to get a very recent kernel to take advantages of
> > the latest support for this device.
>
> I regularly run and test the latest mainline Linux kernels with Fuloong
> Mini. It works pretty well. I'm using the Debian stable as rootfs and
> I haven't noticed any major issues on the userspace side.

That's good news. I am not a Debian user but I was considering using it on
this machine because I understand the Debian developers have been leading
the MIPS support for Linux, along with MIPS and Lemote people of course.

Can anybody point me to a source that describes exactly how to get this
running? I have no idea how to install Debian on the Fuloong since I haven't
found a bootable USB installer.

> The box could be almost used to replace my current desktop. The biggest
> issue I'm seeing is the poor USB 2.0 performance. The disk I/O is really
> slow and I would need this to take backups of the internal HD. There was
> also some problems with the network interface, but disabling RX checksum
> offload fixed those (I believe it's a HW bug in the ethernet device).

What screen resolution can you get in X? And is the performance acceptable?
I am running OpenBSD and the console is painfully slow. I need to grab a USB
mouse (all my stuff is PS/2) before I can test X. I am now using the Fuloong
headless (including sending this email) and things work great.

> I don't know if there's any official installer, but you could always
> build your own kernel and use debootstrap.

I don't know how to do that, so I am looking for a step-by-step procedure
where all the details are explained. Thank you.

--
                       _
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong