Re: single device to replace ADSL router, WiFi/Ethernet router, SIP router?

( replying to a single mailinglist )

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:45:01AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 02:15:40PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > I'm looking for a way to replace my current home network infrastructure
> > with a single device running Debian. I currently have these devices:

       [  ... current configuration ... ]

  [ Archived at http://lists.debian.org/debian-mips/2011/12/msg00021.html ]

> Honestly, that's not realistic.  Too weird a combined featureset.
> Especially the cordless phone bit.

I think it is realistic.

> A quick search found a Quick Eagle DL710 (never heard of them) which
> has 3 100Mbit ethernet ports, SIP, ADSL2+, 2 FXS, 1 FXO.  That isn't 4
> ports though.  Almost certainly can't run Debian either.  Most APs are
> way too low in specs to run a full OS.
> http://www.aceex.com.tw/L3AWVR11.html is another (which has 4 ethernet
> ports).  Neither matches all your requirements, especially for the OS.
>
> If you were willing to spend a lot of money on it, you could build a PC
> that did all that.  Sangoma makes FXS/FXO cards and ADSL2+ cards for PCs.

How was that chinese proverb?
   "Don't tell it can't be done, to people doing so" ??

In Europe there is AVM  ( http://www.avm.de ) One of there products
is http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN_7270/index.php

For "aftermarket firmware" there is http://www.freetz.org

My last attempt on freetzbox is about a year old. It failed for me
not being able to "flash the device".  From http://freetz.org/timeline
I do understand that the freetz project is alive.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
> And is there a policy on top-posting vs. bottom-posting?
Yes.