Re: Debian MIPS on Netgear WNDR3700 (Atheros AR7161 rev 2)

Hello,

Le dimanche 18 septembre 2011 11:02:43, Geert Stappers a écrit :
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 05:46:39PM +0400, Dmitry Kurochkin wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I am trying to setup a Debian chroot on Netgear WNDR3700 router with
> > OpenWRT.  Unfortunately, I can not get binaries to run.  The only binary
> > from debootstrapped chroot I could run is
> > /lib/mips-linux-gnu/ld-2.13.so.  But if I try running any binary with it
> > (e.g. /lib/mips-linux-gnu/ld-2.13.so /bin/ls), it just hangs without a
> > message.  I tried setting debug and verbose environment variables for
> > the loader, but it still outputs nothing.  I also tried mipsel
> > architecture and libc6 versions from testing and stable, but it does not
> > help.
> >
> > Can somebody explain me why it fails?
>
> The three day silence seems to tell  "nope"   ;-)
>
> > Below is some info that might help.  Please let me know if you need any
> > other info or run any tests.
>
> I find it an interresting problem, but I it is beyond my current knowledge.
> I even don't know if it could work, but *lets assume* that the OpenWRT
> kernel plus OpenWRT userland can "chroot into" Debian userland.

Keep in mind that the OpenWrt kernel has a patch to disable the use of the in-
kernel floating point emulator, and so binaries compiled by OpenWrt are done so
using a soft-float toolchain. This is not the case for Debian binaries afaik.

> > # uname -a
> > Linux netgate 2.6.39.4 #1 Tue Sep 6 09:58:59 CEST 2011 mips GNU/Linux
> >
> > # file /bin/busybox
> > /bin/busybox: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, MIPS, MIPS32 rel2 version 1,
> > dynamically linked (uses shared libs), corrupted section header size
> >
> > # file /chroot/bin/ls
> > /chroot/bin/ls: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, MIPS, MIPS-II version 1
> > (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.26,
> > with unknown capability 0x41000000 = 0xf676e75, with unknown capability
> > 0x10000 = 0x70401, stripped
>
> How 'MIPS32 rel2 version 1' relates to 'MIPS-II version 1 (SYSV)' is
> unknown to me.

It does not for me as well. But it looks like Debian binaries are compiled
with an earlier ABI which is more compatible than MIPS32r2.

--
Florian