Re: Debian MIPS on Netgear WNDR3700 (Atheros AR7161 rev 2)

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 05:46:39PM +0400, Dmitry Kurochkin wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am trying to setup a Debian chroot on Netgear WNDR3700 router with
> OpenWRT.  Unfortunately, I can not get binaries to run.  The only binary
> from debootstrapped chroot I could run is
> /lib/mips-linux-gnu/ld-2.13.so.  But if I try running any binary with it
> (e.g. /lib/mips-linux-gnu/ld-2.13.so /bin/ls), it just hangs without a
> message.  I tried setting debug and verbose environment variables for
> the loader, but it still outputs nothing.  I also tried mipsel
> architecture and libc6 versions from testing and stable, but it does not
> help.
>
> Can somebody explain me why it fails?

The three day silence seems to tell  "nope"   ;-)

> Below is some info that might help.  Please let me know if you need any
> other info or run any tests.

I find it an interresting problem, but I it is beyond my current knowledge.
I even don't know if it could work, but *lets assume* that the OpenWRT kernel
plus OpenWRT userland can "chroot into" Debian userland.

> # uname -a
> Linux netgate 2.6.39.4 #1 Tue Sep 6 09:58:59 CEST 2011 mips GNU/Linux
>
> # file /bin/busybox
> /bin/busybox: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, MIPS, MIPS32 rel2 version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), corrupted section header size
>
> # file /chroot/bin/ls
> /chroot/bin/ls: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, MIPS, MIPS-II version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.26, with unknown capability 0x41000000 = 0xf676e75, with unknown capability 0x10000 = 0x70401, stripped

How 'MIPS32 rel2 version 1' relates to 'MIPS-II version 1 (SYSV)' is unknown to me.

> # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> system type		: Atheros AR7161 rev 2
> machine		: NETGEAR WNDR3700
> processor		: 0
> cpu model		: MIPS 24Kc V7.4
> BogoMIPS		: 452.19
    <snip/>

As I understand the problem is a "binfmt thingy". Sorry, I can't explain it.

This is partial output of 'aptitude show binfmt-support'
  allows system administrators to register interpreters for
  various binary formats based on a magic number

My advice is to play with OpenWRT kernel configuration for "binfmt".

Hope this helps

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
> And is there a policy on top-posting vs. bottom-posting?
Yes.