Re: Can I install Debian on my NanoNote?

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:21:00 +0000
"Phil Endecott" <spam_from_debian_mips@chezphil.org> wrote:

> Phil Endecott wrote:
> > I'm going to see if I can debbootstrap [my NanoNote] with its
> > existing OpenWRT-derived kernel first.  If anyone has any thoughts
> > about that i.e. issues that I might run into, please let me know.
> > I'll report back if I'm successful.
>
> Are there any debootstrap experts out there?  Here is what I've tried:
>
> On my Debian PC:
>
> # mkfs.ext3 -j -L "microSD" -O dir_index /dev/sda1
> # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/tmp
> # apt-get install debootstrap
> # debootstrap --foreign --arch=mipsel stable /mnt/tmp
> # sync
> # umount /mnt/tmp
>
> Then I put the microSD card in the NanoNote and boot, and it gets
> mounted as /card.  I can see its contents which look sane.  I believe
> that I now need to run the debootstrap "second stage".  I have tried
> various things but none has worked so far, e.g.
>
> # /card/debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage
> --second-stage-target=/card /card/debootstrap/debootstrap: .: line
> 22: can't open '/usr/share/debootstrap/functions'
>
> My guess is that I'm supposed to chroot before I run this, but chroot
> just hangs:

I suspect you want to extract the debootstrap tarball [1] into a dir on
your NanoNote, then use the copy you just extracted.
Check debootstrap-1.0.22/README for info on running it from its
directory.

[1]
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.22.tar.gz

good luck,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)