Re: installing Debian on Cobalt Qube 2

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Sam Varghese<sam@gnubies.com> wrote:
> On Sun, September 6, 2009 03:23, Sameer Verma wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Martin Michlmayr<tbm@cyrius.com> wrote:
>>> * Sameer Verma <sverma@sfsu.edu> [2009-09-04 19:56]:
>>>
>>> The primary eth port.
>>>

>> OK, I got that far, but how does the Qube2 talk to the Internet if its
>> talking to the NFS server via Primary port? Do I use the Secondary
>> port for that? I'm using a laptop with NFS and DHCP to serve /nfsroot
>> and the laptop is on the Internet via the wireless interface. This is
>> a bit confusing...perhaps I'm not getting the full picture.
>
> Have a look at the list of possible problems at the bottom of this page
> (basically a rehash of Martin's very fine guide), they may be of help:
>
> http://gnubies.com/linux/cobalt_qube2.html
>
> Sam
> ----
> (Sam Varghese)
>

> --

Hi Sam,
Thank you for the clarifications via the link...it makes a lot more
sense now. I had switched from Sun's Cobalt release (the last update
they did before killing Cobalt) to Debian a long time ago, and I
vaguely remember using a set of Debian 3.0 CDs on a laptop to install
Debian on the Qube2. This method is using netinstall, so that makes
sense.

I'm stumped on something new though. My laptop runs Jaunty and I am
using its wlan0 as the interface to the outside, while the eth0
interface offers NFS, DHCP etc. via a crossover to the Qube2. The
trouble is that I simply cannot get the interfaces to forward at all.
This has me stumped because I've done this a thousand times on
machines several years ago, but haven't done so lately, and I am at a
complete loss. does Jaunty have something that would prevent the
forwarding? cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward reports 1

Is NetworkManager getting in the way?

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems