Re: I need help with Linux on the Siemens rm 400 e server

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 02:07:19PM +0200, Ullrich Buss wrote:
> I have bought a few servers of the model Siemens rm 400e.

do you know the exact type ? There are at least E60 and E70 models.
I even saw some note about an E85 model. Could you post the
startup message or at least CPU type and speed ?

> I have only the Sinix firmware for the servers (it is installed).

> I am not able to boot from both diskette and cd-rom under the Sinix
> firmware. I try to use a debian-mips image.

there is no debian-mips image, which supports that machine, yet.

> 1. Where to get the NT-firmware of the Siemens rm400e in order to boot
> linux.

while the firmware gives a hint about switching over to NT firmware,
I never got a hand on that firmware (well I don't miss it either).

> 2. Which linux image is the best to use for this servers.

Linux has still some shortcomings on that machine. Current
linux-mips git tree supports only E60 machines in single cpu
mode (UP).

http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/User:Tsbogend

This is my collected state of the port. RM400E70 support is missing,
because I don't have such a beast. To get SMP running I'd need either
documentation or more time to reverse engineer it.

Thomas.

--
Crap can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessary a
good idea.                                                [ RFC1925, 2.3 ]