Re: indigo2 installation woes

On the physical drive itself, case removed, there is usually a set of jumpers near the SCSI connector. Often between the SCSI and power connectors.

The jumper block usually has between 5 and 6 pairs. Three for the SCSI ID, one for single ended/self termination, and one for sector size. Burner type drives sometimes have the 6th pair to move the burner capabilities to a separate LUN.

Drives sold with or specifically for SGI and Sun equipment have the 512 byte sector support and are configured for such. Teac made most of the drives in that period.

-S-

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Peter Plessas wrote:

Thiemo Seufer wrote:
 Peter Plessas wrote:
>  Dear List,
> > trying to install Debian on my Indigo2, using the .iso from
>  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/mips/iso-cd/
> > I have no possibility to boot via network right now. > > The cdrom drive is an external scsi one, which is terminated and usually > works well. > > The Indigo2 doesn't boot the cd directly, nor via the "install system > software" entry in the sgi startup menu.

 It is supposed to work that way. However, the "Loading program segment
 ..."
 line in the screenshot looks suspicious. Have you checked the CD image is
 ok? Next, does the CDROM drive support 512 byte blocks, as required by the
 machine's firmware? Finally, it could be a problem with flaky RAM, as it
 occasionally happens due to oxidizing contacts. Re-seating the RAM modules
 in their sockets might make a difference.

 Thiemo

I will run a checksum on the .iso tonight. Is there a way to determine if a certain cdrom does 512 byte blocks? The drive came with the indigo2...

regards,

Peter