Re: QL-Swig failed again on mips

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Hi Thimo,
>
> Thanks for the feedback -- much appreciated.
>
> On 30 May 2007 at 16:07, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> | Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> | >
> | > MIPSers,
> | >
> | > I have an open FTBFS [1] again quantlib-swig, and I don't understand it.  The
> | > package builds fine on a number of architectures, used to build on mips too,
> | > has not changed its build instructions but now fails. For the newest from
> | > today see [2]. Older logs are at [3] and we see that this started with QL
> | > 0.3.14.  Is there anything different that mips requires from QL?
> | >
> | > Upstream, CC'ed here, is also out of ideas.
> |
> | The thing is mips/mipsel and some other architectures are compiled with -O0.
> | The resulting object file has quite a bit more than "a single C++ call", it
>
> If I wrote 'one call' , I probably meant 'one function'. Sorry.
>
> This is swig-generated code from a __large__ c++ project that takes more than
> an hour to build on my reasonably beefy x86 box with 2gb ram.  It may not be
> appropriate for mips/mipsel.

Build time up to the failure was 58 minutes on my machine (which is dualcore
but currently runs in UP mode).

[snip]
> | which is a soon-to-be fixed bug in libc. I believe the specialcase for MIPS
> | was introduced back when the buildds were too memory limited. Since the
> | system I tested on (a bcm91250a with 1GB RAM) is the same hardware as our
> | current mips/mipsel buildds I believe it is safe to remove the special
> | handling (it might need to stay for arm/m68k, though).
>
> Could we possibly have a discussion on whether we should exclude the three
> related packages
>
> 	quantlib
> 	quantlib-swig
> 	rquantlib
>
> from building on mips/mipsel and arm?  They are already excluded on m68k (but
> then m68k is sort-of a moot point anyway).
>
> Please don't misunderstand my point of view. I like mips. I think I'll get a
> 'slug' box, and I run a linksys router.  It's just that QuantLib is really
> meant for decent-size workstations.

Given that MIPS today spans the range from said Linksys router over workstation
class machines like the buildds up to a SiCortex SC5832
<http://www.sicortex.com/prod_sc5832.shtml> I can't follow your rationale.

Thiemo