Re: unable to boot debian on a IP22

The best place to ask that is linux-mips@linux-mips.org, or the
#mipslinux channel at freenode.org.

> - What really puzzled me is my IP22, that obstinately refused to boot
>   all the debian kernels I tried with it (sarge, woody, etch...), even
>   if this machine seems to be supported according to debian docs.
>   Each time, kernel gets downloaded via tftpboot, a message
>   about initrd is displayed, and nothing more (see complete bootlog
>   and some info found in the PROM at the end of the mail).
>
>   -> in my suspect list is the video card, GU1-Extreme, that isn't
>    supported by Xfree/Xorg. Could it prevent me to see anything, from
>    the very start of the kernel booting ?

Yes, since the GU1-Extreme also isn't supported by a Linux console.

>    I would be tempted to answer
>    no, since I've tried today with a DIN-8 serial console cable, that
>    works fine under NetBSD, and allows me to capture the bootlog that
>    follows. But the linux boot stops at the same point as with regular
>    keyboard+screen. Maybe is there some boot parameters to feed into
>    the kernel ?

Boot with "bootp(): append=console=ttyS0", or "setenv console d1"
in the firmware. The installer manual explains that bit further.

>   -> Something wrong with the bootloader ? From my tests with NetBSD,
>   I know that this PROM can only launch ecoff image, not elf. But all
>   the kernel image I've tested are MIPSEB ECOFF executable (according
>   to "file").

It is actually a tip22 image which combines an ECOFF header with an
ELF kernel and a installer initrd.

Thiemo