Re: WRT54G Support?

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
* Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@wpkg.org> [2006-06-27 23:15]:
Is there a list of Debian-supported devices anywhere (I mean mostly
arm*/mips*-based routers)?

I don't think so.

It's a pity.
These tiny devices can replace some less-used PC-based servers.
It would be good to know what to look for.

Right now I know Debian will work on these devices:
- ASUS WL-500G deluxe (on an external medium like USB-stick)
- Netgear WGT634U
- Linksys NSLU2
- Iomega NAS 100d (referenced on debonaras.org; really expensive)

"will work" maybe but at the moment only the Linksys NSLU2 is properly
supported.  I've put the Asus WL*/Netgear WGT634U work on hold until
there's proper kernel support.

By a "proper kernel support" you mean all needed drivers in a stock kernel (or at least non-proprietary license)?

According to Broadcom, they might work
on it this summer but it hasn't been decided yet.

Probably, soon it will also work on Freecom FSG-3, and Thecus N2100.

Yes, I intend to work on the Thecus N2100.  I don't know anything
about the Freecom FSG-3.

I'm going to give Freecom FSG-3 a try soon.

But shouldn't there be some webpage which lists all supported devices,
and with instructions on how to install Debian on these devices?

Yeah.  The MIPS page is completely out of date and needs a major
update and I suppose the ARM page might be in a similar state.  It's
somewhere on my TODO list but I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

It would also support manufacturers who make "open" devices (Freecom
guys provided me with some documentation when I asked them).

Can they provide some free devices?

Don't think so.
But who knows, maybe if someone from Debian asks them?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org