Re: WRT54G Support?

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 14:19, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Thiemo Seufer <ths@networkno.de> [2006-02-14 13:17]:
> > To overcome those two is the tricky part. Other than that, it's just a
> > matter of doing the work (for kernel and installer).
>
> The major problem imho (since I don't have the skills to fix it) is
> the lack of proper kernel support - the OpenWRT folks maintain a 2.6
> kernel but it really needs to be cleaned up and pushed into mainline.
> The installer requires some tricky work (mostly because all of these
> routers are just slightly different), but it's 'only' a matter of
> work.
> --
> Martin Michlmayr
> http://www.cyrius.com/
One problem that would need to be resolved before that could happen
is that the OpenWRT system currently relies on devfs, and so they have
put back a minimal form of that code rather than move to udev.  I do
not know what effect this has on the rest of the patches but you might
find that it gets a whole lot easier to migrate once they make the move
(if they make the move, as they also have 2.4 kernels and want to keep
the rest of the system the same for both) to udev.

David