Re: WRT54G Support?

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 06:32:21AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> Hello all, it's my first post here, no please be gentle.
>
> I finally drove in and installed OpenWRT on my WRT54G 1.1, but now that
> I've played with it, I was hoping to install a more complete distro, like
> debian.
>
> I was wondering how supported my little home router was under this project.
> If so, I could use a little help, because debootstrap is failing on me
> after downloading all the packages.  If not, let me know if there's
> interest in getting working.  If so, I'll redouble my efforts.  If not,
> let me know why. :)

The obvious problems with Debian on WRT54G are
1) Debian needs some sort of mass storage, IIRC the device has USB 1.1
   which is slow. So it's either slow storage or some manual stripping
   down of a normal Debian installation.
2) The wireless driver is a binary module, and the free version of it
   is only at the brink of becoming useful.

To overcome those two is the tricky part. Other than that, it's just a
matter of doing the work (for kernel and installer).

Thiemo