Re: installing on Origin 200

Hi,

sorry that it took so long...

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 07:28:19PM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:

> > What I have:
> > - Dual 180MHz, 448MB RAM, cdrom, a few internal disks
>
> Hm, I would have guessed 512 MB.

it's really 448MB. I merged two machines into one.

> The ip27 kernel from people.debian.org/~ths/mips-kernels/ works for me.
> It needs to be netbooted, arcboot isn't yet able too boot kernels to
> 64bit address space, and bootfiles in the volume header seem to have
> a size limit.

When I try the kernel from your link I only get this far:

>> boot -f bootp():
Setting $netaddr to 192.168.2.27 (from server 192.168.2.2)
Obtaining  from server 192.168.2.2
3859568+323488 entry: 0xffffffff8038e000
0xff8001c000 does not fall within a valid memory descriptor
Unable to execute bootp()::  not enough space
Unable to load bootp():: not enough space

With the other kernels I always get this error:

NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP: routing cache hash table of 2048 buckets, 32Kbytes
NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 17
NET: Registered protocol family 15
Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
VFS: Cannot open root device "dksc(0,2,0)" or unknown-block(2,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)

I tried checking the network connection with tcpdump.
I can see that it loads the kernel, but I only see
silence after that. My /etc/dhcpd.conf:

host nadia {
hardware ethernet 8:0:69:5:19:ef;
fixed-address 192.168.2.27;
filename "vmlinux-2.6.10-rc2-ip27";
option root-path "/clients/nadia";
option routers 192.168.2.10;
server-name "192.168.2.2";
option host-name "nadia";
}

mfg
Dennis

--
There is certainly no purpose in remaining in the dark
except long enough to clear from the mind