Re: installing on Origin 200

Dennis Grevenstein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need some help to install Debian on an Origin 200.
>
> What I have:
> - Dual 180MHz, 448MB RAM, cdrom, a few internal disks

Hm, I would have guessed 512 MB.

> - works, runs IRIX
>
> What I have tried so far:
>
> - booting a kernel from the network. I can see a lot of kernel
> messages, but it always dies and says that it can't mount the
> root filesystem. I tried setting up NFSroot and I also connected
> one of the harddisk to my PC and dbootstraped a filesystem on it.
> Nothing works.

The ip27 kernel from people.debian.org/~ths/mips-kernels/ works for me.
It needs to be netbooted, arcboot isn't yet able too boot kernels to
64bit address space, and bootfiles in the volume header seem to have
a size limit.

> What I might do wrong:
>
> - wrong bootflags. What's the correct bootflags for NFSroot
> or root on a local disk?
> - something wrong with dbootstrap? Although that seems unlikely
> to me...
> - Anything wrong with the kernel? I tried a few precompiled kernel
> that are available on the net.

Without the exact error messages it's hard to tell what went wrong in
each case.

Thiemo