Re: NFS file sharing causing system hangs

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 16:44 +0200, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Glen Gray wrote:
> [snip]
> > I doubt it's the network bug being seen in the latest version of the
> > kernel as simply doing and ifdown and ifup on the ethernet device would
> > bring the network back. This seems to hang the box, possibly a bug in
> > the NFS version on MIPS ?
>
> That's a known bug in the -8 cobalt kernel, and some of the changes in
> -10 were supposed to fix it... Namely what you can see in the diff at
>
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/kernel/trunk/kernel-2.4/mips/kernel-patch-2.4.27-mips-2.4.27/debian/patches/10_cobalt-patch.dpatch?op=diff&rev=0&sc=0

Ah right. But as you know, it just made it worse for Qube2 owners from
what I can see on the lists.

> It is not a problem of the NFS version (that's generic code), it is
> related to the Galileo PCI bridge setup in the Cobalt.

So the changes from -8 to -10 simply exposed the bug more rather than
fix it. The symptoms I was seeing where different. Restarting networking
on -10 fixed it for a little while 'til it happened again. But -8 locks
up totally.

If I can help in anyway then please let me know.
--
Glen Gray <glen@lincor.com>              Digital Depot, Thomas Street
Senior Software Engineer                            Dublin 8, Ireland