Re: debian dropping mips support

Martin Bähr wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:31:00AM +0200, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > Note that this plan covers only releases and release candidates
> > (aka testing), not ongoing development.
> >
> > There was a long and exhaustive and exhausting thread at
> > debian-devel@l.d.o which covers those questions. You may want to read
> > it if you have lots of time.
>
> which i don't have, did anyone make a summary?

None I know of.

> the question that i am wondering about is, why no testing either?

Because testing is supposed to be the perpetual release candidate,
and keeping/putting it in shape eats most of the release teams time.

> ok, testing tries to be in sync with all architectures, so how about a
> seperate testing only for mips? so that those of use who don't have the
> resources to follow a constantly moving target still can work with this.
>
> and based on this mips-testing we could even make our own mips releases.

A completely separate testing would AFAICS need more effort than a
few porters can put up. It would also needlessly duplicate the release
teams work for architecture independent stuff.

The IMO best idea so far is Daniel Jacobowitz' idea of subtesting,
which would use the main architectures testing as guide. See the
subthread starting at

Thiemo