Re: debian dropping mips support

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:31:00AM +0200, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Note that this plan covers only releases and release candidates
> (aka testing), not ongoing development.
>
> There was a long and exhaustive and exhausting thread at
> debian-devel@l.d.o which covers those questions. You may want to read
> it if you have lots of time.

which i don't have, did anyone make a summary?
the question that i am wondering about is, why no testing either?

ok, testing tries to be in sync with all architectures, so how about a
seperate testing only for mips? so that those of use who don't have the
resources to follow a constantly moving target still can work with this.

and based on this mips-testing we could even make our own mips releases.

in other words, not drop the architectures, but decouple them, with their
own release scheme as it fits the architecture. ubuntu shows that having
a seperate release scheme with a shared unstable can be done.

the hardware requirements for this should not change from what is
currently needed to have mips as part of sarge, so the only question is
about the manpower needed to make a mips release and do security support
for it.

greetings, martin.
--
cooperative communication with sTeam      -     caudium, pike, roxen and unix
offering: programming, training and administration   -  anywhere in the world