Re: Debian on cobalt cube

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:48:11 +0100, Thiemo Seufer <ths@networkno.de> wrote:

>Hm, then you must do sth. consistently differently than I do. :-)
>It looks like an error in kernel-package, but OTOH building a kernel
>worked for several other people.

well, I'll keep trying - thanks.

>The new version of the kernel tries to use ide DMA, I had a somewhat
>vague report that disabling it works around a stability problem.
>
>Could you try to disable dma (wia hdparm) and tell me if it makes a
>difference?

if there'll be a difference remains to be seen, but the pointer was very right -
the box having absolutely no problem had dma disabled, while the two new ones
had dma enabled (disabled it for now and will report back if it helps), funny
thing is that one debian-build-box here which is virtually the oldest one of all
debian-raq2-boxes here had dma enabled, a current kernel and yet no problems,
though the build-jobs do put a load on the disk-activity, this very one has an
IBM harddrive, the others do have current samsung disks and seagate (and a very
old seagate).

thank you again
harald kapper.