Re: Found Kernel for RaQ2 - where is the installer?

* Joerg Rossdeutscher <joerg@factorlocal.de> [2004-05-11 20:16]:
> Maybe this is correct and I've got to continue on then serial console?

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear about this.  At this stage, you have to use
the serial console.  In a future version, we hope to support SSH, but
that's still a few weeks away.

> The reason for my question: None of my other machines can do  a
> 115.000bps connection, so I can't  see something in my terminal
> application (I heard about holding space  while booting to
> autodetect a lower speed, but that didn't work)

I don't know how to change the serial setting on the RaQ.  Maybe
someone else does.

> Other platforms and the woody installer had a kind of "minimal system"
> on cd/nfs/filesystem to run the installer. But the cobalt stuff just
> seems to contain initd, kernels and a bootloader. Where does it expect
> the remaining stuff, and where do *I* get it? :-)

The initrd contains a very minimal system with the capability to
download the actual installer components.  Those are distributed all
over http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool.

> 1.
> The default.colo-file had "^M" linebreaks, I changed that with vi.
> Maybe my Macintosh ftp-client did that.

Yeah, my default.colo doesn't have such linebreaks.

> 2.
> It seems as if some files belonged to /boot, some to /nfsroot and some
> to nfsroot/boot. After getting annoyed I just copied every file to
> every folders, chown'ed them nobody:nogroup, chmod'ed them 666 (777 for
> folders) due some unclear explained access restrictions in man tftp.

Yeah, sorry.  This depend on the exact machine you have.  In my daily
images (http://people.debian.org/~tbm/d-i/images/mipsel/daily/) I have
a symlink from boot to . for exact that reason.  Sorry I wasn't clear
about this.  The file mode should be 644, this is also safe.

> 3.
> The last time I played with woody the kernels name had to be
> "vmlinux_RAQ.gz". The kernels on the debian server have other names. I
> made a copy of this kernel with the name vmlinux_RAQ.gz just to be on
> the safe site - I didn't even try if this is necessary.

There's a file with that name at
http://people.debian.org/~tbm/d-i/images/mipsel/daily/cobalt/netboot/
but I think I forgot to mention that, sorry.  (Different Cobalt
machines expect different names...)
--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com