Re: Found Kernel for RaQ2 - where is the installer?

Hi,

Am 6. Mai 2004 um 23:21 Uhr schrieb Martin Michlmayr:
* Joerg Rossdeutscher <joerg@factorlocal.de> [2004-05-06 18:04]:
I asked some weeks ago how to get Debian on a RaQ2, and me was told to wait for Debian-Installer Beta 4. OK, here it is. :-)

I've now posted detailed instructions; see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mips/2004/05/msg00032.html

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

I followed your instructions, did some minor changes, now I got some steps further. The machine runs colo, I choose tftp in the display. Then it displays "Loading Debian Installer...". Nothing happens anymore.

Maybe this is correct and I've got to continue on then serial console?

Or is this not correct?

I checked the communication in ethereal, it ends up with a lot tftp packets, but doesn't look wrong.

The reason for my question:
None of my other machines can do a 115.000bps connection, so I can't see something in my terminal application (I heard about holding space while booting to autodetect a lower speed, but that didn't work)

Something I still not understand:
Other platforms and the woody installer had a kind of "minimal system" on cd/nfs/filesystem to run the installer. But the cobalt stuff just seems to contain initd, kernels and a bootloader. Where does it expect the remaining stuff, and where do *I* get it? :-) At http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-mipsel/ current/images/ I do not find a "installation media".

Some annotations where I "hung":

1.
The default.colo-file had "^M" linebreaks, I changed that with vi. Maybe my Macintosh ftp-client did that.

2.
It seems as if some files belonged to /boot, some to /nfsroot and some to nfsroot/boot. After getting annoyed I just copied every file to every folders, chown'ed them nobody:nogroup, chmod'ed them 666 (777 for folders) due some unclear explained access restrictions in man tftp.

(The machine is in a "safe" enviroment, netbooting will be deactivated again on my server when the RaQ leaves my rooms, so that's no problem for /me/. Other peoples please don't do that.)

3.
The last time I played with woody the kernels name had to be "vmlinux_RAQ.gz". The kernels on the debian server have other names. I made a copy of this kernel with the name vmlinux_RAQ.gz just to be on the safe site - I didn't even try if this is necessary.

I already can feel the success. :-)))

Bye, Ratti

--
Joerg Rossdeutscher