Re: Java on Cobalt RAQ2

* Thomas Harris <tharris@andera.com> [2004-10-12 10:14]:
> Digging through the Debian QA site showed a few outstanding issues
> with java and java alternatives (kaffe, sable). I also noticed that
> Tomcat 5 runs on Debian mipsel.

sablevm compiles on mipsel these days but I'm not sure how well it has
been tested.  Unfortunately, most java compilers/runtimes are not very
portable (I know how ironic that is).  GJC should also work.

> Am I being to optimistic in believing I can put this box into
> production with Debian mipsel, Apache, jamm, postfix, dovecot,
> openldap, and BIND?

I don't know what jamm is, but all of the other applications listed
here should work just fine on mips.  As to Java, I don't think many
people have tested it so you probably just have to try.  But I
wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

In any case, Cobalt OS is so out of date (and not supported security
wise) that it's imho a good idea to migrate away from it as soon as
you can.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/