Indy Installation Problems

I have an SGI Indy that I picked up for free - don't know the specs, except that it presently has a 1 GB hard drive and Debian complains that it only has 10 or 11 MB of RAM. I have it using an SGI monitor I also got for free, which works well enough. I don't have the appropriate adapters to hook it up to a serial console.

I'm able (most of the time) to get it to bootp and tftp from my (Debian) laptop.

When I do this using tftpboot.img from the woody mips install, it gets through the installer most of the way (although the installer feels the need to restart itself about twice), but after it has downloaded rescue.bin and another file (root.tar?), it starts installing rescue.bin (as I can see in syslog on console 3) and then just doesn't do anything. I can switch consoles, and if I have a shell open on console 2 I can type a command, but once I hit enter nothing happens.

When I try using netboot-image.img from the sid mips install, it starts to start up, but then complains about not being able to find a console (or some such) and kernel panics, saying something tried to kill init.

Am I doing something wrong in either case? Is this a bug of some kind? Could it be something related to having too little memory?