Re: Still Having Problems booting Linux on an Indy

Stuart Longland wrote:

> Chris Plummer wrote:
> | Stuart,
> |
> | I don't have an answer to your PROM question for you, but I can tell you
> | that I had no problem installing Debian 3.0r1 on my Indy R4600 and the
> | version command gives me the exact same output as yours.
>
> Okay, so that rules out the PROM being the problem.

Either that or the version command isn't reliable. Maybe others can post
their R4600 version output.

[snip]

> Question: How did you manage to install Debian 3.0 on your Indy.  It
> looks like you're using a similar machine to what I'm using.  Here's the
> specs of the machine we have here:

I didn't want to do a netinstall since I only have ISDN. I bought the 6
CD set and then burned Bruce Murray's bootable installer CD (see recent
list emails on how to do this). However, I never quite got the PROM
settings right (didn't really know what I was doing, I'm new to all
this), so I opted for the netboot approach. I also copied all my CD's to
the machine I netbooted from, and made them available via ftp. I'm
guessing this made for a much faster install then doing it from a 4X CD-ROM.

Eventually I got a bit more info from Bruce and was able to confirm that
his bootable installer CD does boot and launch the installer, but
haven't gone beyond that and tried a complete installation with it.

> CPU:    Mips R4600      166MHz (I think, not sure)
> RAM:    256MB
> HDD:    1x Seagate Barracuda 2GB
>         (Currently has an Intel Linux installation on it)
> Video:  8-bit Indy Graphics
>         Indy Presenter Graphics Card

I don't think there are any 166Mhz R4600's. I think 133Mhz is the max,
and that's what I have. Maybe you have a cpu upgrade.

At this point, your HD doesn't matter because you aren't even getting
the installer to boot, so the HD isn't in the picture yet.

> I'm not sure if the Presenter is causing any problems, technically it
> shouldn't, but I don't know much about these machines.

It wouldn't hurt to yank it. I just have the 8-bit Indy card. I think I
read somewhere that someone else had problems when they had two video
cards installed, and another person mentioned moving the card and
getting things to work that way.

> I've downloaded the ISO image to make a bootable CD so I'll try this, as
> it removes a couple of sources of error, but the messages sure are
> cryptic nevertheless.

Bruce's ISO image I hope.

> Thanks so far

Chris