Re: Still Having Problems booting Linux on an Indy

Chris Plummer wrote:
| Stuart,
|
| I don't have an answer to your PROM question for you, but I can tell you
| that I had no problem installing Debian 3.0r1 on my Indy R4600 and the
| version command gives me the exact same output as yours.

Okay, so that rules out the PROM being the problem.

| As for sash, it lives on the volume header of any disk you have IRIX
| stalled on. If you go into the command monitor and type "ls", you should
| see something like:
|
|   >> ls
|   scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partions(8)/:
|   sgilabel ide sash
|
| On an HD with debian installed, the list of files is different (usually
| "unix" and "arcboot")
|
| You can use dvhtool from a Debian installation to copy files to/from the
| volume header. However, since you don't have Debian installed, this
| leads to a chicken-and-egg problem. Maybe dvhtool is available for IRIX
| also (I don't know jack about IRIX)

It probably is, failing that, if I can get gcc going, I can port it.
Another possibility is to ditch IRIX altogether but since we don't have
a copy here, I'd rather not do that.

| Chris

Question: How did you manage to install Debian 3.0 on your Indy.  It
looks like you're using a similar machine to what I'm using.  Here's the
specs of the machine we have here:

CPU:	Mips R4600	166MHz (I think, not sure)
RAM:	256MB
HDD:	1x Seagate Barracuda 2GB
	(Currently has an Intel Linux installation on it)
Video:	8-bit Indy Graphics
	Indy Presenter Graphics Card

I'm not sure if the Presenter is causing any problems, technically it
shouldn't, but I don't know much about these machines.

I've downloaded the ISO image to make a bootable CD so I'll try this, as
it removes a couple of sources of error, but the messages sure are
cryptic nevertheless.

Thanks so far

- --
| Stuart Longland           stuartl at longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Brisbane Mesh Node: 719             http://stuartl.cjb.net/ |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |
| Griffith Student No:           Course: Bachelor/IT @ Nathan |