Re: biarch cooperation.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 07:28:25PM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > Architecture describes the hardware you need to run this.
>
> But the hardware is abstracted away by the kernel. The kernel provides
> an ABI to the userland. So you need a means of identifying an ABI, not
> the class of silicon in the machine.

A nit I like to pit:

Hardware is a particular implementation of an architecture.  I.e., the
hardware is not unique for the same architecture.  Not even software
abstraction; things like fab processes, or equivalent logic circuits.
I think it's a term that gets abused quite a bit.

2 cents.

--
Phil Mendelsohn

Graduate Student, Dept. of Mathematics
342 Machray Hall
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada  R3T 2N2
Office:  204-474-6470, 446 Machray Hall.
http://www.rephil.org   phil at rephil dot org