Re: Debian and DEC 5000/25

Mauricio wrote:
> 	I have here a Personal DEC 5000/25 with some 40MB of RAM

Great, I have a 5000/50.

> which is currently running netbsd.  Since I want to have a Linux box
> at home and am having problems getting it to work in any of my old
> Suns, I was wondering if the DDEC would do the trick.  So, would it
> work happily with Debian?

The kernel in woody had a bug which froze the system on a /proc/cpuinfo
access (which is done by the installer). I don't know if a fix for that
went in woody, newer kernels work.

> Is Debian for this machine pretty complete
> (i.e. I can run X and everything else)?

The kernel lacks support for the ACCESS.bus devices (I have a patch for
this), and X runs in trouble with the keyboard mapping.

So currently there is only support over serial console, but its close
to work. Once the kernel is updated, the console will work. I haven't
figured out yet how the X problem can be fixed.

Thiemo