Re: cross-compiling on Indy

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 03:05:22PM +0800, Davyd wrote:
> I installed Woody on an SGI Indy yesterday. Things seem to be going
> fine... so I figured I would attempt to compile my own kernel for the
> thing (get something more up to date then 2.4.16).
>
> I installed the cross-compiler packages from speed-blue.org
> (gcc-3.3-mips, binutils-mips and glibc-cross-mips).
>
> I then attempted to compile 2.4.21 with make-kpkg:
>   make-kpkg --arch=mips --cross-compile /usr/mips/bin/linux-mips ... ...
>
> It throws an error saying that I can't pass -mcpu=r4600. I hacked up the
> Makefile to use the option -march=r4600 (I got this from the manpage).
> It then complains that I can't pass -mips2, I have to use -mips3.

Makefile is created for gcc-2.95, which is recommended compiler.

> In the end it still throws syntax errors in the code itself.

That's because vanilla kernel is missing mips patches.

> I also notice that 2.6.0-test3 doesn't compile (it doesn't even have the
> 'boot' target).

Please note that -test kernels are still in development and not ready for
end user. Above also applies, but more is merged.

> What's going on here? Do the current options for GCC differ so much from
> the MIPS Makefile? Or do I have a whacked out cross-compile environment?
>
> Also, what kernels are known good? I see debian has compiles of 2.4.16
> and 2.4.19. Is there a patch tree to fix glitches in the MIPS port of
> the kernel?

Debian precompiled kernel is patched. Patch is available also as package.
You're recomended to use linux-mips.org cvs kernel linux_2_4 branch.
http://www.linux-mips.org/kernel.html

Regards,
	ladis