kernel for Cobalt RaQ2

I'm installing a couple RaQ2 systems for use by Debian developers as
porting machines (williams and vaughan.debian.org).  Thanks to
http://devel.alal.com/pipermail/cobalt-22/2002-July/000298.html the
installation has been very easy.  However, I'm left confused about one
issue: The kernel.  uname currently reports
Linux vaughan 2.4.18 #2 Fri May 31 17:40:33 BST 2002 mips unknown
depite the fact that there is no 2.4.18 kernel image available for
stable:
vaughan:~# apt-cache search kernel-image
kernel-package - Debian Linux kernel package build scripts.
kernel-image-2.4.17-r3k-kn02 - Linux kernel binary image.
kernel-image-2.4.17-r4k-kn04 - Linux kernel binary image.

I'm not convinced that I'm running a kernel that's safe from the ptrace
issue or any of the other kernel problems that we've seen lately.  I'm
also not entirely confident about rebuilding the kernel, since the
.config used in building the current image is apparently not present in
/boot anywhere.  Nor is there anything in /usr/share/doc/kernel-*

So, what should I do about getting an up-to-date kernel for this system?

Thanks.
noah