cross-compiling on Indy

I installed Woody on an SGI Indy yesterday. Things seem to be going
fine... so I figured I would attempt to compile my own kernel for the
thing (get something more up to date then 2.4.16).

I installed the cross-compiler packages from speed-blue.org
(gcc-3.3-mips, binutils-mips and glibc-cross-mips).

I then attempted to compile 2.4.21 with make-kpkg:
  make-kpkg --arch=mips --cross-compile /usr/mips/bin/linux-mips ... ...

It throws an error saying that I can't pass -mcpu=r4600. I hacked up the
Makefile to use the option -march=r4600 (I got this from the manpage).
It then complains that I can't pass -mips2, I have to use -mips3.

In the end it still throws syntax errors in the code itself.

I also notice that 2.6.0-test3 doesn't compile (it doesn't even have the
'boot' target).

What's going on here? Do the current options for GCC differ so much from
the MIPS Makefile? Or do I have a whacked out cross-compile environment?

Also, what kernels are known good? I see debian has compiles of 2.4.16
and 2.4.19. Is there a patch tree to fix glitches in the MIPS port of
the kernel?

Regards
--Davyd Madeley

--
http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/pgp>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA