Re: Indigo2 Serial Console

Jason Granat <jason@akota.com> wrote:

Hi,

> I have a couple I2's I would like to run Debian on.  I am having trouble
> with the serial console.  I am able to view the machine starting up
> through Hyperterminal on my Windows PC but I am unable to type to the
> console.  On the I2 I have "setenv console d1".  On the PC my term
> settings are 9600 8 N 1, no flow control.  I get to where I am prompted
> to hit <ESC> for system maintenance and I press it repeatedly but I get
> no response, the I2 continues to boot IRIX.  My cable is connected like
> so:

The I2 serial port is well documented in the I2 manual [1], and
pinout assignments for a couple of cables can be found in it.

Have a look on page 105 of the manual :) I use this cable (+ a
null-modem cable), it works for me (the only annoying thing is, the I2
"closes" the connection several times during the boot, couldn't find
the time to sort that out yet).

HTH

JB.

[1] <http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/summary.cgi?coll=hdwr&db=bks&docnumber=007-9096-050>