Re: kernel upgrade on cobalt cacheraq2

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 04:14:35PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Does anyone know how to install a new kernel on a cobalt cacheraq2
> machine? I can't find any trace of a bootloader or firmware config
> in which I can configure the kernel to boot.

In theory, one should be able to boot an arbitrarily named kernel by
issuing the command

bfd /<kernel_name>

from the firmware prompt. In practice, this does not seem to work on some
machines and seems to be dependant on the firmware version. Mine only boots
/boot/vmlinux.gz from a local harddisk, regardless of which name I give on
the command line. You could try NFS-booting via

bfd /vmlinux.gz root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=/nfsroot

Depending on the machine type and firmware version the default image name
seems to be different (vmlinux.gz, vmlinux_RAQ.gz or vmlinux_raq-2800.gz).
The NetBSD/cobalt-FAQ (http://www.de.netbsd.org/Ports/cobalt/faq.html) has
some useful information about bootstrapping such a machine. I still wonder
why the cobalt developers implemented netbooting via NFS instead of using
tftp.

HTH,
Karsten
--