Re: A few Decstation questions.

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 02:37:39PM -0400, Len Sorensen wrote:

> Oops.  Yeah of course.  Console on 3 (ttyS2), modem on 2 (ttyS1?).
>
> It is a 5000/133.

That will probably be ttyS3, ttyS1 is the mouse on a 5000/133. AFAIK the
serial chips are wired in a rather strange way on a decstation 5000/1xx.
There are 2 SIO chips with 2 serial ports each, but they do not provide
enough handshake lines for full modem control on each port, so the connector
"3", i.e. the console connector, uses handshake lines from the other port.
This results in port connector "2" having no hardware handshake, which is
probably the reason why it is labeled as (serial) printer port.

> Any idea what the max port speed is, given I was trying to run a 56k
> modem of it at 115200, although 38400 and 9600 didn't help yet.

I have not tried it, but IIRC 19200 is the maximum.

> Looking at the NetBSD code, it certainly sounds like a weird card.
> Colormap chip, and a couple of sprite generators as far as I understand
> it, and two bit planes.  I get hte impression from some stuff so far,
> that the card actually does grey scale (4 bit perhaps), but is address
> as if it did 8bit memory wise.  Weird.

It is a strange card :-). The framebuffer itself is only monochrome, but
uses a memory layout of 8 bits per pixel (where only the LSB is really
used). Only the sprite controller supports more than 1bpp.

> I think you meant PMAG-AA btw.  The PMAD-AA doesn't work either in linux
> as far as I can tell (being a network card), which I also have one of,

Yes, I meant the PMAG-AA. There is btw. preliminary support for the PMAD-AA
TurboChannel ethernet card in the current kernel-patch-2.4.19-mips in
unstable.

HTH,
Karsten
--