kernel panic : no init found

Dear All,

I'm trying to get Woody up and running on an Indy (8 bit graphics), 48M RAM, 1GB HD on /dev/sda1(scsi id 1), and and a SCSI 32x CD-ROM drive (Teac 532S) hung on SCSI id 4, perched (not too) precariously on top of the machine. I'm using a recently purchased official disc set, which seems to be version 3.0.23, but, thanks to the work done by Florian Lohoff in documenting the format of SGI volume headers necessary to make Indy-bootable CDs, I haven't needed to do any netbooting.

I've been making my SGI volume headers on CD with not much more than a hex editor, some simple C code to do the vol hdr checksumming, and a copy of Nero on a Win2K machine. I haven't made an unbootable disc yet, and at the first attempt, I was able to get debootstrap up and running the hard drive fdisk-ed with all the necessary partitions (incl its own volume header partition, which I set to about 10MB).

Having said all that, beyond that point I've observed extremely variable behaviour of the installer between different versions of the tftpboot.img file;

- a home-made bootable 3.0.23 disc #1 (i.e. disc 1 from the official set, with its iso image patched with a suitable volume header ) simply didn't offer the CD-ROM as an install method, so I wasn't even able to install the kernel

- the bootable test iso Florian posted a link to on his homepage i.e.at http://www.silicon-verl.de/home/flo/software/ip22test.iso did offer CD-ROM, but I experienced a system hang when the installer tried to extract rescue.bin (after insertion of the official disc #1) during kernel installation

- I then made another "homemade" bootdisc, using the 3.0.24 bootfiles downloaded from

http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/linux-mips/install/r4k-ip22/

(basically, I put everything below that path on a disc preserving the tree structure, and made it bootable), and that works much better; I am able to install the kernel into the harddrive volumeheader and make the system bootable.

Unfortunately, when I now reboot from the HD (having set up the prom environment variables), I get a

warning : unable to open an initial console

and then

kernel panic : no init found. Try passing init= option to the kernel

Any ideas ??

I also get quite a few corrupted file warnings if I use my homemade 3.0.24 bootdisc to try to install the base system, which hangs at various points; I think this is almost certainly a separate problem, and may be related to the speed of the CD-ROM drive, or its firmware etc.

Any help much appreciated ?

Bruce