Re: ...delo getting me frustrated :-)

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 18:25, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > after uncommenting the bootinit() call (why is it done anyway?
> bootinit is supposed to initialize firmware's access to the boot device.

yeah, that's what's written in the firmware specs.. :-/
but for some strange reason it never returned something != -1 for that
particular decstation...

> > ...why is it stopping here now? :-/
> You might be interested in my improved version of delo, source is available
> at http://www.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de/homes/ths/linux-mips/delo
>
> It fixes several quirks, maybe also this one. I can't promise it will
> work for you, though. :-) If bootinit always returns -1, it won't.

thx, that helped me alot!

alas your version had some ext2fs trouble (and I had to make the code
ignore negative bootinit() retvals);

in the meantime I figured out, that the problem lays in 0.7's loadelf.c
which causes sections of the ELF kernel to be written to memory starting
from address 0 ... which caused the firmware to halt...

your code instead uses the program header tables which fixes the problem
(for me at least)... well... until your version works for me, I've put
up my hacked up code at

http://www.ifs.tuwien.ac.at/~hvr/linux-mipsel/

maybe it'll help others...

regards,
--
Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: hvr@hvrlab.org       /    Finger hvr@gnu.org for GnuPG Public Key