Re: Debootstrap issues

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:26:36PM +0100, Lucas Moulin wrote:
> Well, some feedback after almost 11 hours of struggling with Debian and
> my Indigo2. I followed Len Sorensen's advice and tried removing some
> RAM. I tried a couple of combinations since I have 12 bars of RAM (384
> Mo). None of the things I tried worked, I still got downloads errors and
> debootstrap would always crash. I also tried official kernel images, but
> it failed at the "Configure Modules" section, leaving me no choice but
> give up the installation.
> Then I tried installing Debian from the console in Alt-F2 instead of the
> GUI, when I got to "Install Base System". I launched
> "/usr/sbin/debootstrap --arch mips woody /target
> http://ftp.debian.org:80/debian"; since it was the server that gave me
> the fewer errors. Everything was downloaded and extracted, but
> debootstrap failed on installing, reporting a bus error.
> So I said to myself I should remove the last 2 difficult-to-access bars
> of RAM, and put on some other bars. I restarted the installation
> process, and everything worked fine using the command line to execute
> debootstrap. It gave some errors about unconfigured packages, but since
> I didn't know how to fix this, I rebooted anyway and booted on the
> kernel. I finally got the Debian login, but the filesystem was mounted
> read-only. A simple "mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /" took care of it. I
> did a couple "dpkg -i", "dpkg --configure -a" and "dpkg-reconfigure",
> and now I've got a Debian system running just fine.
> After all, all my problems came from hardware, but now I know much more
> about the Debian installation process :) Weird though I had so much
> download issues, as my network's working OK.
> Thanks anyway to anyone who answered me.

Sounds like the "difficult to access" memory sticks are the first ones
in the memory space and hence the ones used first and for the most
important stuff (the kernel).  If they were defective that would
certainly explain things.  Of course at this point it might make sense
to do the install from scratch again with a newly formated filesystem to
make sure nothing went wrong with the install due to previous attempts.

Len Sorensen