Re: Maxine status?

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 04:06:54PM -0400, Mauricio wrote:

> >some kernel bug, which causes the Debian installer to hang the kernel,
> >but _only_ on a Maxine. This bug does not appear on any other type
> >of DECstation. We have up to now not been able to find out what
> >exactly triggers this kernel bug.

> 	How can I help track this bug?  I will not claim to be the
> most knowledgeable bloke in the machine, or black magic unix, but
> anything I can do to help, let me know! =)

You can get the r3k-kn02 installer tftpimage and try how far you come.
Usually it crashes after displaying the splash screen. After that,
debugging gets difficult, as the kernel crashes without any visible
oops or panic. dbootstrap (a part of bootfloppies) somehow seems to
triggers the bug, so you might have some luck tracing dbootstrap.

If you would like to use Debian on the Maxine, you could try a manual
install. Create an NFS-root on some other box by calling

debootstrap woody /my/nfs-root/directory http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian

You have to configure it by hand afterwards (things like /etc/fstab,
/etc/inittab, /etc/securetty, etc.pp.). Then you can build a kernel with
NFS-root-support and try that.

HTH,
Karsten
--