Re: Trying to boot the install for Woody mipsel on Decstation 5000/240

Karsten Merker wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 07:31:37PM +0200, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > Karsten Merker wrote:
>
> [which type of monitor can be used with a PMAG-AA]
> > The DS 5000/100 manual states for all types of monochrome monitors:
> >
> > 	Video input
> > 	- Termination		75 ohms BNC
> > 	- Amplitude		1.0 Vpp composite video
>
> Hm, that would mean you could use a "normal" PC-multisync capable of
> sync-on-green. Well, at least for simulating a "green" monitor :-).
> AFAIK the DS 5000/1xx series was always sold with at least a PMAG-B
> graphics card (besides the completely headless DECsystems of course),
> so I wonder whether this "all types of monochrome monitors" really
> means "all types of monochrome monitors available for the graphics
> options in a DS 5000/1xx".

I don't think so. The manual came with my /260, which seems to be an
upgraded /100. It has only a PMAG-AA card inside.

> I once had a grayscale 17" DEC monitor that
> worked with the Maxine onboard graphics and with some adjusting on a
> PMAG-B.

The maxine manual does not mention any monochrome monitor, only color
and greyscale. All of these are described to use 3W3 connectors.

> It fits the above description (1.0Vpp composite, 75 ohms) and
> was delivered with a 3W3->1xBNC cable. The PMAG-AA is the only card
> that has a single round connector (AFAIK this is not BNC)

The manual claims it to be BNC. My machine came without this cable, I
had to solder it myself. The monitor-side connector is sold as 75 ohms
BNC, it's apparently a quite common part of TV equipment.

> instead of
> the 3W3 on all other cards, so I am not really sure the signal is the
> same.

Again, the manual says so. The monitor of my machine is a VR419-DA.
I can look for the complete list of supported monitors in the manual
and post it here if you want.

Thiemo