Trying to boot the install for Woody mipsel on Decstation 5000/240

I have been trying to get Debian woody to install on my Decstation
5000/240 today.  So far I have tried this:

MOP boot linux.ecoff
MOP boot linux.bin (with different version of mopd that does ELF)
boot linux.bin with netbsd's ELF loader
MOP boot tftpinstaller (ecoff format)

In all cases I get only one line of output after the file is loaded
which is:

This machine is a Decstation 5000/2x0, or something like that line.
Nothing else happens.

I used the version of the woody installer disks available in mipsel today.

Any idea if this should be working or if I am missing a setting somewhere?
Netbsd is happy booting on the machine.

Thanks.  I really would prefer Debian over NetBSD on my machine.

Len Sorensen