Re: installing the mipsel port

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 02:23:22PM +0200, Jonas Meurer wrote:

> I got a DECstation 5000/120 this weekend, and I installed debian/unstable on
> it. Bor for the installation I used the woody stuff.
> The installation was quite complicate:
> 1. The tftpimage at dists/woody/main/disks-mipsel/current/tftpimage-r3k-kn02
> doesn't work. It produces a a.out-error, or something similar (I forgot to
> write down).

Probably you are bitten by a firmware bug on your DECstation.
Please try the following:

- get the ethernet MAC address of your DECstation by entering
  "cnfg 3" on the firmware prompt
- as root enter
  "arp -s <hostname or IP address of the DEC> <MAC address of the DEC>"
  on the machine used as the tftp server
- boot the tftpimage

Many DECstations do not answer to arp requests during tftp transfers,
so you run into an arp timeout, which results in an "a.out error".
This is also documented in the installation manual (chapter 4.4.4).
Another problem could be that your firmware has a size limit on the
kernels it can boot, so if the above does not help, please look at
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/pmax/board-list.html#proms.

HTH,
Karsten
--
Gemaess Par. 28 Abs. 3 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der
Nutzung und der Weitergabe meiner Daten zum Zwecke der Werbung sowie