Re: Hi and installation success on indy r5k

Hi Dominik,
On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 01:46:56AM -0800, Dominik Behr wrote:
[..snip..]
> XFree86 contains compiled in drivers for all PC graphics cards and that
> adds lots of bloat. Just by removing them (and input drivers except
> mouse)  I slimmed XFree86 from 10 to 6 MB. Thats 4MB more for
> applications (and once I had computer with 64KB of memory)!
Some Mips boards have PCI slots, so these drivers are used there. The
drivers only are used when the card is present, so no memory is wasted.
As of 4.2.0 mips uses a dlopen-style loader(which causes some other
problems but it makes the XFree86 binary much smaller). A ELF style
loader is in the works.

> here is my host.def
> #define BuildServersOnly                YES
> #define XF86CardDrivers                 newport
> #define XInputDrivers		        mouse void
> #define LinuxDistribution               LinuxDebian
> #define BuildXF86DRI                    YES
> #define DoLoadableServer                NO
> #define XFree86Devel	                YES
> #define MakeDllModules		        YES
> #define XF86Server		        YES
> #define XnestServer		        NO
> #define XVirtualFramebufferServer	NO
> #define XprtServer                      NO
> #define XF86VgaHw		        NO
> #define XF1Bpp			        NO
> #define XF4Bpp			        NO
> #define BuildScreenSaverExt 	        NO
> #define BuildPexExt		        NO
> #define BuildXinerama		        NO
> #define BuildGlxExt                     YES
>
> I suppose more stuff can be disabled to make it even smaller.
If you're interested in a smaller X then KDrive might be a good choice.

> I am now converting sgi hardware docs from postscript to PDF and I will
> read them and then try to help.
Welcome aboard.
 -- Guido