Re: Hi and installation success on indy r5k

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 01:46:56AM -0800, Dominik Behr wrote:
> Problems I encountered (all known bugs AFAIK):
> - update-menus crashes, recompiling it with -static helped

c++ exceptional handling problem in gcc 2.95 - Fixed in 3.0/3.1 IIRC.

> - sometimes gnome-session or gnome-panel crashes (but I dont feel like
> recompiling gnome)

> - most of pixmaps are corrupted in gnome, gtk apps and also in icewm

Shared memory seems to be broken - Guido and me were going to debug this but
didnt get around doing it last time. I guess its some cache stuff going
on.

> - palette is not restored properly when leaving X (both in X that comes
> with debian (4.1.something ?) and 4.2 I compiled from source

This is a bug in the XFree server although it only happens on some
graphics boards.

> XFree86 contains compiled in drivers for all PC graphics cards and that
> adds lots of bloat. Just by removing them (and input drivers except
> mouse)  I slimmed XFree86 from 10 to 6 MB. Thats 4MB more for
> applications (and once I had computer with 64KB of memory)!

They should only be on Disk not in memory - And BTW there are
Mips machines out there which have PCI slots and thus may use all
those drivers.

> I suppose more stuff can be disabled to make it even smaller.

Nope .. We need that stuff ..

> I am now converting sgi hardware docs from postscript to PDF and I will
> read them and then try to help.
> There are couple of ex-SGI guys at my workplace, I'll track them and
> I'll extract their brain contents somehow (it reminds me of Starship
> Troopers).

More important - I2 Framebuffer ...

Flo
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium