Re: Decstation 5000/240 mop boot

On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 06:05, Patrick Caulfield wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:35:15PM -0500, Disconnect wrote:
> > I just got a decstation 5000/240 w/ a cdrom but no hdd and have been
> > trying to set it up for nfsroot (under any os).  The firmware version
> > (KN03-AA V5.1b) is listed by netbsd as not being tftp-capable (and a
> > brief test seemed to support that.)
> >
> > Using mopd to load a variety of linux kernels (both r3k and r4k, debian
> > versions, versions off the web, etc) all result in an identical TLBS
> > (tlb store) error. (The guys on #mipslinux suggest that sounds like a
> > wrong-endian or wrong-cpu issue..)
>
> Are the linux kernels build with a MOP header on them? AIUI MOP needs a 512
> byte (or so) header which describes the file. If you try to boot a kernel
> without it you will get messages something like that.

I suspect that may be the problem.  The only real docs I could find were
for netbsd, and they said 3 things in 3 places (it'll Just Work, it
won't ever work, it'll work but needs a special kernel..)

I finally ended up just using the netbsd diskimage method (dd 2M to the
front of a drive, boot it, install to a 2nd drive, remove/reformat the
first..)

I'd much rather be using linux, so if anyone has a mop-ified kernel they
want to send me I'll be their bestest friend ;)

> I'd like to boot my 2100 using MOP rather than tftp, not because the box won't
> actually do tftp but because Linux 2.4 generates UDP headers that it doesn't
> like :(
>
> I haven't tried the NetBSD kernels since I moved to Linux 2.4 and tftp broke. I
> know they have a mop header builder for kernels but I think I've only seen it
> used for their VAX port, VAXes generally will only netboot using MOP.

Yep, thats all I could find as well.