Re: debian-cd lacks boot support for mips and mipsel

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 11:11:52AM +0100, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:
> Well, you tell me things that I cannot really fully understand, let's see....
>
> > Unfortunately no. But even nonbootable CDs would be a good thing. Are
> > there any problems building these without additional patches?
> > I'll try to find some time to look into the debian-cd package but I fear
> > it will not be feasable for mips since our bootloader(arcboot) currently
> > only reads ext2 fs which is also true for delo(the mipsel bootloader) I
> > think.
>
> This  will mean that our loader only supports ext2 fs, so I'd be expecting
> something like SILO, which searches for the kernel by himself instead of
> knowing its position, isn't it that?

delo and arcboot are in fact much like SILO - Ist just that we need
to add ISO9660 support. I am unshure on how the CD Boot works
on SGI and Decstation. The Decstation does supposedly work like
the diskboot and needs an CD Rom with 512 byte blocking (As the Prom
only knows about 512 byte blocked medias (It does the same with tftp))

Flo
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium